Thursday 1 October 2015

Grim Fandango Remastered - Time to visit the land of the dead?



So I'm definitely a bit late to the party on this one, the original Grim Fandango came out in 1998 and while I had heard of it I never got round to actually playing it so with the remastered version out I knew I had to give it a go this time...except as usual I didn't get time to, I blame my large gaming backlog! As GF was in one of Playstation's Summer sales I knew that I finally had to make time for it. So was it worth it?

Yes is the short and simple answer!

I'm a fan of the old adventure games such as the Monkey Island series so I knew that the chances are I'd like GF as well. Sure the graphics, even though they have been 'remastered', aren't the prettiest that have ever graced the Playstation the game's charm and humour more then makes up for this.

In terms of graphics all that really seems to have been updated is the character's texture quality has been increased and the lighting has been improved slightly. There are some new features like concept art and director commentary, I would recommend finishing the game first before listening to any of the commentary though.

The story and characters are what really makes this game worthwhile. You spend four years in the life of Manny Calavera a travel agent grim reaper as he journeys through the afterlife. I won't go into detail about the storyline but will say that this is one of the best adventure games out there and if you haven't played it yet then you really should give it ago. Some of the puzzles are tricky so it would have been nice if they'd implemented a hint system like the Monkey Island remake did but I suppose it's easy enough to look on gamefaqs for a walkthrough. Also for some bizarre reason they didn't put in any auto save feature so you have to keep remembering to save occasionally...why would a game not have an autosave feature?!

Grim Fandango is definitely worth a visit to the land of the dead even for people who missed it the first time round so don't have rose tinted spectacles on.




No comments:

Post a Comment